- Ooyala Player V4 for HTML5 is a new Web-based player that runs in popular browsers across desktop and mobile devices.
- Ooyala Player Skin for iOS enhances the Ooyala (video player) Mobile SDK for iOS by integrating the Player V4 skin in iOS native apps.
- Ooyala Player Skin for Android enhances the Ooyala (video player) Mobile SDK for Android by integrating the Player V4 skin in Android native apps.
BenefitsThis version of the Ooyala player delivers the following benefits:
- High-quality, consistent performance across devices (robust video streaming support with performance enhancements)
- A robust, modular, flexible player skin template that follows unified Google Material UX Guidelines and can be customized for a branded playback experience
- Easy integration with advertising and analytics services
Supported Playback FeaturesPlayer V4 supports the following features:
- A new UX for the default player
- Customizable player UX
- Content-aware player controls that are able to distinguish between the supported content types (VoD, Live, In stream video ads) and display respective UX controls accordingly
- Responsive design (by default the player will resize dynamically when the size of the container of the player is changed)
- Full-screen mode
- Closed captions (DFXP)
- Social sharing - email, embed (web only), Facebook (sharing the web page on Facebook), Twitter, and Google Plus by pointing to the hosted_at URL
- Discover related or recommended content on the player with the UpNext feature and Discovery tray on the Pause and End screens
- Localization of player controls and error messages (English, Spanish, Simplified Chinese, or your custom localizations)
- New video plugins to support HLS and MP4, OSMF Flash HDS, Akamai packaged HDS, and DASH and HLS
- Configurable HTML5 or Flash video rendering. Note that all of the plugins, ad logic, UI, Player APIs, etc. are always in HTML5. The only Flash component is video decoding and rendering for HDS as well as HLS on all desktop web browsers when using the Bitmovin video plugin and DASH in places where HTML5-based DASH decoding is not supported.
- Live DVR, which allows the user, during live HLS streaming, to drag the slider backwards in time and to drag it all the way to the right to catch up to present time.
Supported Ad Features
Ads for Player V4 are supported through the Ad Manager Framework. This framework allows Ad Servers to develop ad plugins for Player V4. See below of a list of ad plugins that support major ad managers.
The following ad features are supported in Player V4:
- Pre-, mid-, and post-roll ads
- Clickthrough, overlay, and companion ads
- Podded and skippable ads
- Configurable ad countdown, timeout, and ad replay
- Basic ad settings and configurations via the Monetize tab in Backlot
- Page-level parameters that override Backlot settings
- New overlay Close and Learn More buttons
- The ability to configure ad plugins on the page level without involving Ooyala Technical Support
- Live Server Side Ad Insertion with Ooyala Pulse
- Ooyala Pulse Ad Plugin
- FreeWheel Ad Plugin
- Google IMA Ad Plugin (DFP)
- VAST and VPAID Ad Plugin (includes LiveRail - VAST ads only)
IAB Standard Support
Supported Analytics Features
Ooyala IQ automatically captures and reports Player V4 analytics events. Player V4 also supports integrations with third-party analytics providers through the new Analytics Framework. This framework allows analytics providers to develop analytics plugins for Player V4.
Supported Video Streams
The following platforms and streams are supported for this release. Future releases will support additional platforms. For details on which plugins to load for each stream type and browser type, see Loading Video Plugins. For details on which environments are supported for each platform, see Supported Environments for the Player V4 Skin.
|Ooyala Player||Stream Type||Supported Platform||Video Plugin|
|V4 HTML5||MP4||Desktop Web, Mobile Web (iOS and Android)||main_html5.min.js for all platforms and bit_wrapper.min.js for all platforms except iOS Mobile Web|
|V4 HTML5||HLS||Desktop Web, Mobile Web (iOS and Android)||main_html5.min.js for Desktop Web Safari, Desktop Web Edge, iOS and Android Mobile Web and bit_wrapper.min.js for all Desktop Web browsers|
|V4 HTML5||HDS||Desktop Web||osmf_flash.min.js (Flash component used for video decoding and rendering of HDS) and akamaiHD_flash.min.js for Akamai packaged HDS only|
|V4 HTML5||DASH||Desktop Web, Mobile Web (Android)||bit_wrapper.min.js|
|V4 HTML5||WEBM||Desktop Web (Chrome, FireFox), Mobile Web (Android Chrome)||main_html5.min.js|
|iOS SDK||MP4||Mobile App||N/A|
|iOS SDK||HLS||Mobile App||N/A|
|Android SDK||MP4||Mobile App||N/A|
|Android SDK||HLS||Mobile App||N/A|
|Android SDK||DASH||Mobile App||ExoPlayer (see Integration with Google ExoPlayer on Android for details)|
Customization OptionsFor this release, the players (HTML5, iOS, and Android) offer the following degrees of customization:
- No customization. Use the default player with standard, out of the box settings.
- Easy customization via a JSON config file that applies across environments.
- Advanced customization. Developers can fork the player repositories and customize the source code.